Skip to main content

Loy Krathong 2009


November is Loy Krathong month in Thailand. Thais flock to bodies of water to celebrate. This event is a nocturnal beauty; a personal fave. (Description that follows is summarized from information available in a travel site, Thailand.com)


Early evening in Nakhon province, this is a large version of an original, usually hand-held krathong


Loy Krathong, or festival of lights (other literature refer to it as water festival) is held "when the tide in the river is highest and the moon is at its brightest, creating a romantic setting for lovers."

'Loy' literally means to float, and krathong is the lotus-shaped receptacle which floats on the water.


Originally a krathong is made of banana leaves folded and spread on a slice of banana trunk. Aside from flowers, candle and joss sticks, a krathong may contain coins.


A common sight on krathong night: Thais sharing a light.

As materials become more available, krathongs have become more elaborate, especially those provided for public viewing.

The ritual is simple: candles and joss sticks are lighted, wishes are cast quietly and the krathong is released into the current of the rivers or canals.

A popular legend of Loy Krathong originates as a tribute to the goddess of water Phra Mae Kongka for her bounty; a sort of thanksgiving.


Quite picturesque and lovely, Loy Krathong is one of Thailand's most celebrated festivals; probably second only to Songkran (Thai New Year)

My thanks to Sammie for sharing her photos.

~ That's My World Tuesday is brought to you by Klaus, Sandy, Wren, Fishing Guy, Louise and Sylvia ~

Comments

Rajesh said…
It is nice to see these beautiful snaps of festival of lights. In India we too have festival of lights.
Anonymous said…
I'm so glad you finally got pictures of this. I still have CJ pictured when you went with him. LOL. it's beautiful. Thanks for sharing :)
Jim said…
Amazing. Thanks for sharing these.
Sydney - City and Suburbs
Hazel said…
Thom, this loy krathong feature would incomplete if I didn't post photos of krathongs that are actually floating :) I'm glad a Thai friend generously lent me her shots.
Martha Z said…
These are beautiful, thank you for sharing.
Sylvia K said…
What lovely shots of a beautiful festival! Thanks for taking us along! Such marvelous colors, does look like fun!

Have a great week, Hazel!

Sylvia
Indrani said…
Very interesting Hazel, all so colorful and beautiful.
Lovely post.
Japa said…
A colorful festival. The series of photos make us understand its beauty and importance.
Reader Wil said…
This is a totally new tradition I learnt from you today! Thank you! It's very colourful too! Sharing the light, that's what we do at Christmas. Have a nice day, Hazel!
LadyFi said…
Such a wonderfully uplifting and beautiful festival.
Anya said…
I love festivals Hazel
It looks very pretty there :-)
Fantastic pictures
my compliments !!!!
Wolynski said…
Wow, these floats are spectacular - wonderful photos.
Carver said…
Looks like a fun festival. Loved the shots and narrative.
XoXo said…
ah, another tradtion I've learned here. Wish to visit and see it for my self.
Ebie said…
Thanks to your friend for sharing these photos! It gave me a full understanding and appreciation of the Thai culture. The art work and decoration is very exquisite.

P.S. I am back from hiatus!
Lindz said…
oh that's so nice and colorful, amazing, thanks

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...