Skip to main content

Friday Fave Five: Happy plans

View more FFF participants at Living to Tell the Story

My week was fun. Here are my faves:


1. Laughter with students. An 18-year old in my Business Communication class was courting girls in the back row while I was teaching. He's a top student. I knew he could easily catch up, so I cut him some slack. When it was time for the oral test, he could not answer a single question. I wasn't having any more lecture so I resorted to good-natured teasing. "Ahem...someone is going to fail today's test..." The classmates joined in the teasing and we were all laughing. Working hard to recall what he somehow heard while not paying attention, he managed to start giving off correct answers. The girls cheered. He tried so hard he looked funny; I was teary-eyed laughing. My lungs lightened as I fired more questions and more correct replies were sent back my way. The class hunk passed.

2. New office. Another new building is constructed in the campus. I was told that my department will be on the 3rd floor which just suits me well. Not having to take the lift to the upper floors will save me lots of time. If I took the stairs, I think 3 flights will just be perfect to burn enough calories.


3. A friend's email. I'm in the process of sorting out something. Something which, if successful will send me flying to the other side of the world before 2009 is over. A friend's email gave me new ideas which kept me high with excitement the entire week!

4. A son's effort to comfort. At first I tried to deny it, but as Saturday arrived last week I acknowledged I was indeed upset over MJ's death. It must have shown on my face while I watched a tribute vid on youtube because Cj didn't take over my computer like he usually does. He asked, "Mommy? Why?" And he sat still on my lap. Then he went back to the bed, made some shapes and called out, "Mommy, look!" I understood he tried to distract me from feeling bad.


5. Long weekend, hurray! We're off on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday next week. Right now I'm busy planning how to best spend these free days. It's inspiring to plan something nice and worthwhile, and make it happen so I can report back next week with a bubbly and happy Friday Fave Five :-)

Comments

Pamela said…
#3 sounds exciting - can't wait to hear more!
Willow said…
Now I'm so very curious and can't wait to hear the news! Your little one sounds like a very sweet and perceptive child-- what a gift to you and to him.
Susanne said…
What a sweetie your little one is.

#1 made me laugh out loud. Good for you for handling it with such humor.
Jerralea said…
Hurray for your new office. The building looks very nice, and your idea of burning calories sounds great. (I'm always reading we should walk whenever possible to burn calories and to use the stairs, not the elevators.)

Your son sounds like a sweetie!

Thanks for visiting my blog. Yes, we had a nostalgic time visiting the old "homeplace". We went to all the cemetaries, too, reading all the family headstones.
Beth said…
I love your story about the intelligent hunk cum student! He's so good ha? I imagined myself being there and I smiled, I would have laughed that hard too! Mababaw kasi kaligayahan ko. Iba pa din pag matalino talaga ang isang student, khit walang review review, or listening to lessons, nakakaya.

anyway, Cj is one thoughtful son. He really cares. :)
Brenda said…
Sounds like a good week, the new office looks good and I can't wait to hear about the possibiities for the future!

Popular posts from this blog

The Hunchback of Abella

A Duet When I was about 8 years old, I sang Something's Happened to Daddy in church. My father was not a church-goer so the guy I sang with was my mother's friend's husband. Papa keeps coming to my mind these days. January is the month he was felled by a massive coronary. Next week on the 14th is the anniversary of his death. The only times he ever set foot in church were during weddings and funerals of family and friends. I remember him being present in church eagerly when I was a flower girl at an aunt's wedding. Finally he entered church one more time. At his own funeral. I made sure church was the very place he went to before the cemetery. I only wished he was the one I sang with. Amy hosts head over to Signs, Miracles and Wonders for more music or to join ************************************ Guns n' Roses and the Hunchback of Abella My childhood was what can most likely be called normal. There was a balance of happy and sad memories. Today's

Sense and Sensibility: 200th anniversary

In 1811 Thomas Egerton of Whitehall, London published Sense and Sensibility . Quick math shows it has been two centuries since Jane Austen became a full-fledged author. Quite an anniversary, indeed. A celebration, I declare . Blogs regarding the publication anniversary of this romance novel picture Jane Austen 's engagements whilst making the final touches of her manuscript from Sloane Street. In letters to her sister Cassandra, Jane gave accounts of her shopping for muslin, the party that their brother Henry and SIL Eliza gave; mentioned several acquaintances, and referred to her book as S and S . As a fan I wonder which between sense and sensibility did JA deem more important since she portrayed both attributes equally well. I'm obliged to enthuse over my S & S reading experience. Alas, I only managed fourteen chapters before getting sidetracked by another novel, the very first that JA wrote. I will resume and complete my affair with the celebrant before 2011 end

Thirteen 13-word Quotes

1. I may be wrong , but I have never found deserting friends conciliates enemies. Margot Asquith , British Political Hostess (1864-1945) 2. Man's love is of man's life a thing apart; Girls aren't like that Kingsley Amis , English novelist and poet (1922-1995) "A Book Idyll" ~ see possible origin, also a 13- word quote: M an's love is of man's life a thing apart, 'Tis woman's whole existence Lord Byron (1788-1824) 3. An autobiography is an obituary in serial form with the last instalment missing. Quentin Crisp , English writer The Naked Civil Servant (1968) 4. Happy the hare at morning for she cannot read the hunter's waking thoughts. W.H. Auden , English poet (1907-73) Dog Beneath the Skin 5. Kissenger brought peace to Vietnam the same way Napoleon brought peace to Europe. (by losing) Joseph Heller, American novelist (1923- ) 6. Guns aren't lawful; Nooses give; Gas smells awful; You might as well live. Dorothy Parker ,