Skip to main content

That's My World Tuesday: Our tomorrow, your today


Unlike most tours that visit the Hellfire Pass Memorial Museum towards the end of the day, our tour went to this place in the morning to avoid clashing traffic with loads of other tourists and the overcrowded train that passes the bridge over the River Kwai at sunset.


This museum is co-sponsored by the Thai and Australian governments to commemorate the suffering of those involved in the construction of the railway. It was opened by the then Prime Minister of Australia, John Howard. As a part of the museum experience, it is possible to walk through the cutting itself and along a section of the former railway track bed. An audio tour including recorded memories of surviving POWs is available at the museum.

Far, wide and deep view from the museum:

Hellfire Pass is the name of a railway cutting, famed for its cost in life, on the Death Railway in Thailand, known by the Japanese as Konyu cutting. It was built in World War II, in part by POWs. Work by torchlight at night gave the pass its name.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellfire_Pass

This is part of the Pass we walked on during the tour:

The path to the Konyu cutting from the museum above - of course now they have made it easy for tourists:

A plaque attached to the 'wall' of the Pass:
It's something comforting to read after hearing the guide's description of the terrible work condition that happened there. I love this part:
  • "These doctors provided leadership, helped alleviate pain and suffering and above all gave reason to live when all real hope seemed lost. To them we all give thanks. When you go home, tell them of us and say we gave our tomorrow for your today."
View more places at That's My World Tuesday.

Comments

L. Neusiedler said…
an interesting trip you prepared for today! but I have to say that maybe, before building memorials, people should avoid hurting each other, for whatever reason...
Hazel said…
To Lara, here's hoping we all learn from the past.
Reader Wil said…
Having been a POW myself at the age of 9, I am always interested in stories about the Burma railway. Good post Hazel.
Chubskulit Rose said…
Hello there Hazel ! We got back since Sunday but wasn't able to visit blogs till now. They got sick (diarrhea) except me. We actually brought our son to the hospital today because he is fevered (still is till now.).

I would like to thank you all for the wonderful and encouraging words you said and left at my blogs. For the sympathy and prayers, and for those who shared their blessings to the family! May God bless you all for your compassionate hearts!
Anya said…
Lovely post Hazel !!
Interesting and lovely shots :)
Its beautiful your world ....
Eleanor said…
A very moving tribute to those who suffered in such terrible ways. We so easily forget - my post is also about the war dead.
PS I love your boys!
ninja said…
I had no idea about this place. Thanks for introducing it.
Guy D said…
Excellent post Hazel, thanks for sharing.

Have a great week.
Guy
Regina In Pictures
Wolynski said…
Bridge on the River Kwai - now this brings back memories of the film. Never knew they had a memorial - lovely post.
A very poignant post.
Louise said…
Very nice post. Can't imagine what it must have been like to build that.
Lew said…
About 40 years ago I saw a movie about the building of the bridge over the River Kwai. Thanks for showing us this WW-II place.
Jenn said…
Such heroes, these doctors. Thanks for the very interesting post.
Janie said…
Thanks for sharing that interesting bit of history and bringing it to life with your photos.
Ebie said…
There's always a soft part of me about this part of a country's history. The memorial is so be fitting.

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...