The world said goodbye to Michael Jackson on Tuesday. I stayed up til 3 A.M. Bangkok time to watch CNN cover it live. All lights were turned off in my nook. I dealt with my emotions in the dark. As fans at the Staples shouted, "We love you, Michael!," I mentally croaked, "How about resurrect Michael" The two-hour memorial was filled with stirring tributes: all worth the vigil and the zombie state I was in the morning after. Here are 13 snippets I (like to) remember:
1. "He came to us from the Creator, trailing creativity in abundance...we do know we had him and we are the world" ~ Queen Latifah reciting Maya Angelou's We Had Him
2. "It's good to be thought of as a person, not as a personality" - MJ
3. "He's got a Guinness record for most charity given by a pop star" ~ Kobe Bryant on MJ
4. "You eat Kentucky fried chicken?" ~ Magic Johnson to MJ
5. "There's nothing strange about your Dad. It was strange your Dad had to deal with" ~ Al Sharpton about MJ to Paris, Prince Michael and Blanket
6. "We laughed"
9. "At the end of the day, it is only God's love that will anchor you" ~ The Kings, Bernice and Martin Luther III
10. "People are innocent until proven otherwise" ~ Rep. Sara Jackson Lee
11. "Maybe now they will leave you alone" ~ Marlon Jackson to MJ
12. "Let us stop judging people by the color of their skin and the accent of their voice" ~ from the closing prayer of Rev. Lucious Smith
13. (gently and sweetly) "Speak up, Sweetheart" ~ Janet Jackson to Paris Jackson
and when Paris spoke, I had my pillow for a giant Kleenex.
Happy Thursday, everyone!