Skip to main content

Violators will be shot

Play along here.

Early morning in mid-April three years ago I traipsed The Costwolds (west-central England) and entered a shop with this sign over its doorpost:


A few minutes in I found out that this sign was for sale. A few steps back this is the narrow entrance to the shop:


You must have noticed that the sign is old with rusty edges that invite tetanus. Who in his right mind would buy it? Maybe someone actually would. You see this sign is the antique version of the one sold at Taylor Gifts online. And as long as the world does not run out of sentimentalists, there is always a possibility for this sign to end up in someone's collection.

Comments

Ebie said…
Good morning Ms Hazel. I thought this sign is funny and your commentaries are even funnier, such as the tetanus shot! No wonder it is considered antique in its literal sense. Welcome aboard TWTW!
Anonymous said…
Thats way too funny. I might have bought it if I were there :)
Tink *~*~* said…
don't shoot, I'm innocent - I swear!

;p

Tink *~*~*
Hazel said…
Hi Ate Ebie, it does look like a tetanus risk, doesn't it? =)

Hi ewok, i also wanted to buy it but it won't be easy if you're mistaken for a terrorist at the immigration lol

Hi Tink, an ad at Taylor Gifts says the darn sign is a thoughtful gift for territorial friends :-)
Zeee said…
Errrr that is one scary sign! I'd like to buy one tho... despite the tetanus risk... hehehehe :)
Martha said…
I probably would have been afraid to go in the shop! LOL!
Anonymous said…
Wow, welcome to twtw Hazel and your first entry is very funny. Shot as in tetanus shot would be effective if you buy this one old sign. :) Salamat kaayo!

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...